Thursday, August 03, 2006

Trying to Better Grasp the Israel-Hezbollah Crisis?

Me, too.

Barbi and others here at NBF have done a bang-up job of covering this crisis, providing historical perspective in addition to reports of current events, and I felt like I should understand better after reading all that and more. But I didn't.

So, I went a-gathering, and I decided I'd share with you some of the analyses I've been reading, if you're interested. If you're like me, you think that besides Israel and Hizbullah (Hezbollah?) being wrong, those 'leading' and 'advising' the US and the UK officials are not quite right either. So one reads all the facts and tries to remember (or re-reads) the history and still is confused. Anyway, go ahead and read the following perspectives if you like. I hope it helps. To be honest, I don't know if I'm better off or not after this, but I feel like I've done due diligence.

Some of these sources I have come to trust over the past several years, but even so I must remind myself to read with a critical eye. Don't assume I agree with all the points of view below. There are some MSM sources below and several alternative sources that you will recognize as left-leaning but, as Dors says, the truth has a liberal bias...

Bleh. I have taken up way too much room here as it is and it's 430ish a.m. so I will not follow through on my plan to source some more acknowledged right-leaning sources. I'll leave that dirty work to someone with a stronger stomach. I've been in an email back-and-forth all day with a die-hard Zionist and can't bring myself to regurgitate for you the sources my opponent gave me.

Five Myths That Sanction Israel's War Crimes Primetime Lies from the American Media (Counterpunch)

Doubling Two Bad Bets by David Broder (Washington Post)

Hizbullah's attacks stem from Israeli incursions into Lebanon (Christian Science Monitor)

The refugees' fury will be felt for generations to come Israel is seeking to cast itself as the victim even as it expels the people of Lebanon and Gaza from their homes (The Guardian)

Jerusalem church leader seeks new Christian approach to Middle East (Ekklesia)

Robert Fisk from Lebanon (The Independent)

Who is Israel's Friend? and Bush Wants Wider War by Robert Parry (Consortium News)

Juan Cole (Professor of Modern Middle East History)

Sadly, the Plural of "Fiasco" Requires No "E" By Ray McGovern (Former CIA Agent)

In Theaters Near You - Scary Movie Mid-East by Molly Ivins

AIPAC's Dangerous Grip on Washington by Ari Berman The congressional reaction to Hezbollah's attack on Israel and Israel's retaliatory bombing of Lebanon provide the latest example of why AIPAC's lock on US foreign policy in the Middle East must be examined. (The Nation)

Riverbend on Qana Massacre (Baghdad Girl Blogger)

Stop the Band-Aid Treatment by Jimmy Carter

"It is inarguable that Israel has a right to defend itself against attacks on its citizens, but it is inhumane and counterproductive to punish civilian populations in the illogical hope that somehow they will blame Hamas and Hezbollah for provoking the devastating response."

"The urgent need in Lebanon is that Israeli attacks stop, the nation's regular military forces control the southern region, Hezbollah cease as a separate fighting force..."

(For what it's worth, I tend to side with those who think an immediate cease-fire is the best place to start... I can't wrap my head around the arguments stating that immediate cease-fire now will inhibit future lasting peace. That does not compute.)



All rights reserved.
Disclaimer And Comment Policy