Friday, September 22, 2006

On the Lamont Front

I was on my way to Lamont HQ's tonight. I had stopped at a store. The rather young (but above majority) clerk notice my button "Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republican." The gentleman (he really was) said he liked my button. Oh, it is affixed on the front of my purse strap. Then, he asked, "What do you think about Lieberman?" I just turned around so he could see my back where my "Women for Lamont, 2006) was also strapped to my purse strap. The clerk said, "Me too! I'm for Lamont." I told him I was headed to the HQ's right then. He said to tell Lamont that there are young people supporting him as well. I agreed and was happy to hear it. That was without telling him Lamont isn't at the HQ's (at least when I've been there). It would take too much time to explain, just as I felt it would take me too long to give him my detailed reasons why I hate Lieberman. I had to get to WORK to promote Ned's campaign. I didn't want to be late.

(BTW, you guys should check out the GQ article about the Lieberman/Lamont campaign over the summer. It's very good and telling insofar and Lieberman's dirty tricks. I'm too lazy to link right now, but you can find the link at nedlamont.com). It is a rather lengthy article, but it's worth taking the time to read it.

From my phonebanking experiences, I have concluded that about 80% of households are not home on Thursday nights. I wonder where they are or what they are doing. I don't get the same result on Tuesday nights. Hmmm.

Of those that are home, the majority of the unafilliated voters are still sitting on the fence (this conflicts with a recent poll). I was not warmly received (and I really kiss ass and remain objective) by the majority of those at home. We had one person who has been a Lamont supporter until today, when a new radio ad (I haven't heard and am still trying to procure) turned he and his coworkers decided to change to Lieberman. That is five votes lost, but we reported it to the staff. They pursued it immediately.

Many Dems and Inds commented they want the "fighting" between the candidates to stop. Fighting? I don't get that. But okay. I can see the general frustration with a heated contest.

Finally, I spoke with a registered DEM. Without explanation, she said she was going to vote repub (no one is interested in this guy and he is barely in the press and his number is something like 3%). Right or wrong, I assumed she said that because she's tired of the Lieberman/Lamont wars. I conveyed this to the volunteer caller sitting next to me. And he said he thought it was good she was voting repub. Initially, I was upset. But, with greater thought, he was right. I told him so. Voting for an unknown Repug cancels out the unaffilliated who vote for Joe because they don't like Ned -- if that makes sense.

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I will go back and do more next week. I keep telling myself not to because it is not exactly rewarding. I still want Ned to win, and I don't think that I could live with myself if I just walk away.

That's my Ned update.



All rights reserved.
Disclaimer And Comment Policy