Thursday, March 22, 2007

Edwards to Suspend Campaign

John Edwards is suspending his campaign for President, and may drop out completely, because his wife has suffered a recurrence of the cancer that sickened her in 2004, when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, an Edwards friend told The Politico.

"At a minimum he's going to suspend" the campaign, the source said. "Nobody knows precisely how serious her recurrence is. It’ll be another couple of days before there’s complete clarity." "For him right now he has one priority which is her health and the security of the two young children," said the friend.

As for the campaign, "You don't shut this machine off completely, but everything will go on hold."

Politico blogs

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting It Wrong

A single, confident source close to John Edwards told me this morning that Edwards was "suspending his campaign," and I posted it to the blog at 11:06 this morning.

My source, and I, were wrong.

The source, whose anonymity I agreed to respect, spoke of the kind of grim prognosis Elizabeth Edwards herself just described hearing before a second round of tests came back. I trusted the source, somebody I've known for several years, and who has always been reliable.

And with less than an hour before Edwards was to announce, I unwisely wrote the item without getting a second source.

When the campaign pushed back harder than I'd expected, I added that information to the original item, but that doesn't undo the damage.

My apologies to our readers for passing on bad information.

Politico blogs

A lot of the reason I really like John Edwards as to do with this. While the Republicans are out preaching family values, the likes of Newt Gingrich trying to divorce his wife while she was in the hospital going through cancer, Mr. Edwards is living family values by stepping to the plate and doing the right thing, putting politics to the side and being with his wife during this time. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Edwards family, Mrs. Edwards, John and the kids.

Labels:



All rights reserved.
Disclaimer And Comment Policy