Sunday, April 09, 2006

In which Lieberman becomes Lesserman

Joe Lieberman said in Windsor today that he will not rule out an independent run for the Senate in November. Leo Canty, the DTC Chair apparently worked really hard to make the Windsor event "the truly public forum Joe fears like the plague." My Left Nutmeg says that we should not expect another one anytime soon.

Connecticut Blogger has a good piece on the Windsor Town Meeting today. They also have the audio clip that shocked all who attended the meeting.

Joe Lalli: Ned Lamont has already stated that he would support you if you won the Democratic nomination and Zell Miller once stated that he would always be a member of the Democratic party. Can you make similar promises?

LIEBERMAN: Will I always be a member of the Democratic party? I hope there's not a primary. I'm confident if there is one, I'll win it, but I'm not gonna rule out any other option for now because I feel so strongly that I can do better for the State of Connecticut for the next six years in the United States Senate that I want to give all the voters a chance to make that decision on Election day in November. I want to do it as a Democrat. If I didn't want to do it as a Democrat, I would choose to run in some other party, trust me. But I want to do it as a Democrat because I believe in the Democratic party, so really the choice is up to my fellow Democrats...

Atrios says:
There are special circumstances where the Party implicitly supporting an independent, such as in the case of Bernie Sanders, makes sense. But Joe's basically telling the primary voters of Connecticut - Democrats - that he doesn't respect them.

Crooks and Liars asks:
Doesn't Joe respect the voters of Connecticut? Just another reason to support Ned LamontFor Pam and Rose!



All rights reserved.
Disclaimer And Comment Policy