Monday, November 07, 2005

Dear Diary:

This year I opted not to run for a third term on my local Town Council, as I don't feel one person can make a real difference at that level. So, to get more involved on the County/State level, I went to Election Inspector School and "fanagled" an appointment on the County Democratic Committee. I will be working the polls tomorrow at our local Community House from 5 AM until they close at 9 PM and as long as it takes thereafter for the results to be read. I am really excited!

Yesterday, a friend and I helped Bethany Schumann, Amsterdam 3rd ward Supervisor, with her reelection by stuffing campaign literature in doors along Guy Park Avenue. Bethany is a young attorney who worked for Paul Tonko (NYS Assemblyman) for a time and, if elected, this will be her second term. She is dynamite! But, those hills and the steps up to those porches were steeper than I thought. After a couple of hours in the unseasonably hot Autumn sun, I thought I would faint. But, Brian had some warm water in the trunk of his car and the the Pain Away oil I brought worked very well on my bad knee. I was so tired when I got home, that I didn't get my eBay auctions on. I was in bed by 8 PM. But, when I got up this morning, I felt swell!

I am so excited to be involved in politics on this level and I think I can make a real difference. For those of you not involved, this is what politics is all about! Getting to know your candidates, helping out, donating time. So far, I have walked miles up steep inclines with campaign literature, evaded barking dogs and rabid Republicans, and will be working the polls tomorrow for some 16 plus hours at less than minimum wage. It's not the glamorous side of politics, but it is fulfilling nonetheless, especially if I can make a difference.

Off to pack my (overnight?) bag with pretzels and chop some veggies so that when I get up at 4 AM tomorrow, I can shower, dress and walk thru the dark streets to the polling place. Did I say 4 AM? And, my damn knee is still killing me. Hey, but Bethany invited me to her party tomorrow nite after the results are in! That would be great! Yeah, but it's 25 miles away and I have to be to work by 7:30 the next morning. And, after sitting around all day and night, I'm sure I'll have to ice that knee again.

Politics. Making a difference. Hey, wasn't I already doing that by running for an elected position on the Town Council? Jaline thought so. I should have listened to her. It really was a hell of a lot easier than this. Yeah, well, live and learn.

Hmmm, maybe next year - Village Board?????

For those of you that know me, this is tongue in cheek, but with a couple of grains of truth. I'll keep you posted, but for now, I have to get to bed to be ready for my double shift. See you at the polls!!!! Cyn



All rights reserved.
Disclaimer And Comment Policy